ITALIAN ZUCCHINI PIE
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes in oven
- Servings: 6-7 servings
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 4 zucchini)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine or 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or Muenster
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 homemade pie crust (to fit inside 10-inch-round casserole) or 2 to 3 8-ounce rolls Pillsbury croissant dough
In a large skillet or sauté pan, sauté the zucchini and onion in the butter until zucchini is softened and onions are translucent.
Stir in the chopped parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and oregano.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, cheese and mustard, then add the zucchini/onion mixture.
Spread the pie crust across the bottom and up the sides of a casserole dish or baking dish that has been lightly greased.
If using the croissant dough, roll it out on a lightly floured surface and roll to pie crust thickness.
Carefully lift it into the dish and press across the bottom and up the sides.
Pour zucchini mixture into the crust and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 18 to 20 minutes.
Cover with foil for last 10 minutes of baking. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I cheated and used a bought pie crust. I used the dried basil and oregano but fresh would be wonderful.
This would be great to serve with a nice salad.