- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 large 'stuffing' mushroom caps, stems removed, chopped, and reserved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 12 ounce package Jimmy Dean Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, Romano cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Sauté mushroom caps in two batches, smooth side down, over medium high heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until tops are lightly browned and beginning to soften.
- Carefully turn and brown edges of cup side, 1 to 2 minutes. Place cooked mushrooms cup side down on paper towels to drain liquid.
- Brown sausage in same skillet, mashing with a fork while sautéing so that mixture is fine textured. Pour off all but a teaspoon of fat.
- Add chopped mushroom stems, garlic, onion, and red pepper; continue cooking over medium high heat until vegetables are softened and juices have evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and when mixture has cooled slightly, toss with cheese until well combined; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange caps cup side up in a large baking dish and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Fill with sausage mixture.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, uncovered, to heat mushrooms and crisp edges of stuffing
NotesWLS portion 1 cap, Calories 48, fat 2g, carbs 3g, protein 4g
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!See More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More