- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 350gr bread flour
- 1 L. Russet potato
- 1 T. Dry yeast
- 1/2 t. Salt, kosher
- 1 C. Potato water
- 1 L. Egg, beaten, with 1 t. water.
- Peel the potato cover with water and simmer for about an hour, add water to cover if needed.
- Place a casserole half full of hot water on the floor of a cold oven, turn oven on to it’s lowest setting for 5 minutes.
- Sift 200gr flour and dry ingredients together in a mixer bowl.
- When potato is fork tender remove from water, rice the potato directly into the flour mixture, mix on low with a flat beater to incorporate.
- Replace the flat beater with a dough hook. Add 1 cup of potato water and mix, add 1/4 C. flour at a time until a shaggy mass has formed.
- Add sprinkles of flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- The water will need to be between 120º and 130º F to activate the yeast.
- Once a dough ball has formed, increase mixer speed to medium and knead for 10 minutes.
- Place mixer bowl in the oven and let rise for 1-1/2 hours.
- Push the dough down then knead for 10 minutes.
- Return dough to oven and let rise 1 hour.
- Push dough down then knead for 5 minutes, set aside to rest for 10 minutes before shaping.
- Pre-heat oven to 350º, adding water to cassarole if needed.
- Roll dough to form an elongated football shape.
- Fold the ends to the center and press them down, now fold the side to the center and pinch together along the seam.
- Place the loaf seam side down in a 10” loaf pan or on a pizza peel lightly covered with corn meal.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Brush top of loaf with egg mixture and bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hallow when thumped.
Notes© A. J. Di Liberti 2005
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Summertime SippersSee More
Coca-Cola Biscuits from Southern Biscuits Cookbook
Summer Stone Sangria
Beef & Broccoli over Hong Kong Pan Fried NoodlesSee More