- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. boneless pork or veal cutlets
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 oz. bacon (diced) (2 slices if thick) sliced
- 4 oz. onions (chopped) (1/2 cup
- 8 oz. mushrooms (sliced) (1 - 8 oz. can)
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry wine
- dash of thyme
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. parsley
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Pound cutlets with a meat tenderizer to flatten them. Season cutlets with salt and pepper, dredge them in beaten eggs and then coat evenly with bread crumbs. Place cutlets into skillet and fry until golden brown (1-2 minutes on each side). Remove the meat from the skillet and drain on paper towels. Keep the meat warm in the oven while you make the gravy.
- Sauté bacon and onions until golden brown. Add tomato paste and mushrooms, and sauté over a low heat. Add wine, water and seasonings; let simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Pour over Schnitzel just before serving.
NotesIf you are looking for a typical German main course this is it. It is often served in German restaurants. I buy pork as it is cheaper and you can't really tell the difference in taste.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Get Fit With Good Food!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More