- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. very finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tb. unsalted butter, chilled
- 2/3 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, walnuts, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together buttermilk and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- With lightly floured hands, divide dough into 2 equal pieces and pat each portion into a 5" circle on a lightly floured cutting board. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Transfer the 12 pieces to the prepared baking sheet. Dip the point of a sharp knife in flour and make a slit in top of each scone, dipping the knife in flour as needed. Carefully spoon 1 tsp. strawberry preserves into the slit in the top of each scone. Bake for 17-19 min. or 'til tops are lightly browned.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Serve warm, or cool completely and store in a single layer in an airtight container.
- These scones freeze well.
Notes"Strawberry preserves add color to the centers of these small-sized treats. Try other flavors of preserves with these cookie-like scones."