- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked seasoning (Trader Joes North African Smoked Seasoning is great!)
- One 20 oz can jackfruit in water or brine (NOT syrup) -- cut off core (hard, pointy section)
- 1/2 cup prepared BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 whole grain hamburger buns
- Red onions, cilantro and dill pickles for garnish
- In medium saucepan, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent (about 4 minutes).
- Add garlic and sauté another 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, smoked seasoning.
- Add trimmed jackfruit and stir to coat well.
- Add jackfruit mixture to onions and garlic.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together water and BBQ sauce.
- Add to jackfruit mixture, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Before serving, mash with a potato masher until jackfruit is shredded.
- To serve, place a generous scoop on hamburger bun and top with red onions and cilantro.
NotesI'm all gung-ho for jackfruit. I think it's one of the best things since sliced bread. Really.
So why not make a sandwich using jackfruit? Here is a super-yummy treat that tastes a whole lot like pulled pork. The best part about this sandwich is that it's meat free, and that's definitely the best thing since sliced bread.
(This recipe does use prepared BBQ sauce. If you'd rather make your own, the are a gazzillon recipes online)