- Cooking Time: 9
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryI have found this recipe recently, and in my opinion they make the most delicious sugar cookies ever! If made just right, these cookies are amazing.
CHEMISTRY INFORMATION: The pure substances are baking powder (NaHCO3), salt (NaCl), and sugar (C12H22O11). The ingredients that are homogeneous mixtures are all-purpose flour, butter, the fully mixed dough. The
heterogeneous mixtures are the egg, the batter before it is mixed, and the cookies after they are finished baking.Cutting the dough into shapes, changing the cookies temperature via oven, and rolling the powdered sugar into the cookie dough are all physical changes. The rising and the darkening of the edges of the cookies as they bake are both showing that chemical changes are happening.
Submitted by: "Jacob G"
- (3 cups) 675 mL of all-purpose flour
- (3/4 tsp) 4 mL of baking powder
- (1/4 tsp) 1.25 mL salt
- (1 cup) 225 mL of unsalted butter, softened
- (1 cup) 240 mL of sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- (1 tsp) 15 mL of milk
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and set that aside.
- Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color.
- Add egg and milk and beat to combine.
- Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 190 °C(375 °F)
- Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar.
- Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator at a time, sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar, and roll out dough to 0.635cm (¼ inch) thick.
- Move the dough around and check underneath frequently to make sure it is not sticking.
- If dough has warmed during rolling, place cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill.
- Cut into desired shape, place at least 2.54cm (1-inch) apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time.
- Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removal from oven and then move to complete cooling on wire rack.
- Serve as is or ice as desired.