- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons corn oil, unrefined
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces pimientos, drained and diced
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno pepper juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by at least 1 inch.
- Add the salt.
- Cook the potatoes over moderate heat until they are tender (about 25 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes, allow to cool.
- When potatoes have cooled enough to handle, slice them very thin.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a large baking dish (9x13).
- Warm the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, add the bell pepper, onions and garlic, and saute them until they are softened.
- Stir in the pimientos, the jalapenos, and the jalapeno liquid.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables; mix it in well.
- Pour the milk in gradually, stirring to avoid lumps.
- Simmer briefly until the mixture is thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the grated cheese, mix well.
- Alternate layers of potatoes and sauce in the baking dish, ending with some of the sauce.
- Cover the dish tightly, and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and much of the sauce has been absorbed.
- Serve the potatoes hot.
- Source - Texas Home Cooking by Bill and Cheryl Jamison - Bean/CK board
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More