- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe has been in our family since 1976. It was my dad's recipe given to him by a friend. He won 3rd place at the Southern New Mexico State Fair in 1978. He passed away that month and never knew he won. So you can say this a very special recipe in our family. It is like a canned pico de gallo. You can eat it with tortilla chips or mix in with scrambled eggs or whatever you prefer.
This a water bath canning recipe.
6-7 Pints 1¼ hours 30 min prep
- 2 lbs jalapenos
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6-7 teaspoons sugar
- 6-7 teaspoons salt
- Chop jalapenos, tomatoes and onion.
- Mix vegetables together with garlic and oregano. Set aside.
- Mix together vinegar and water. Set aside.
- Fill jars with vegetable mixture to 1/2 inch from top of jars.
- To each jar add 1 tsp each of salt and sugar.
- Then add liquid to jars to 1/2 inch from top.
- Seal jars and process in water bath for 45 minutes. Start counting when water comes to boil.