- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs jalapenos
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6-7 teaspoons sugar
- 6-7 teaspoons salt
- Chop jalapenos, tomatoes and onion.
- Mix vegetables together with garlic and oregano. Set aside.
- Mix together vinegar and water. Set aside.
- Fill jars with vegetable mixture to 1/2 inch from top of jars.
- To each jar add 1 tsp each of salt and sugar.
- Then add liquid to jars to 1/2 inch from top.
- Seal jars and process in water bath for 45 minutes. Start counting when water comes to boil.
NotesThis recipe has been in our family since 1976. It was my dad's recipe given to him by a friend. He won 3rd place at the Southern New Mexico State Fair in 1978. He passed away that month and never knew he won. So you can say this a very special recipe in our family. It is like a canned pico de gallo. You can eat it with tortilla chips or mix in with scrambled eggs or whatever you prefer.
This a water bath canning recipe.
6-7 Pints 1¼ hours 30 min prep