- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 3 Tbsp coconut-flavored rum
- 1/3 cup rumrunner mix
- 1/2 (10 oz.) package frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (1/2 pint), divided
- 2 bananas, divided
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 cup blueberries (1/2 pint)
- 1 cup blackberries (1/2 pint)
- 1. Combine the rums, rumrunner mix, thawed strawberries, and pineapple juice in a bowl.
- 2. Mix 1/2 cup strawberries and 1 banana in the blender. Add to the rum mixture.
- 3. Cut the remaining strawberries in half and chop the remaining banana. Add to the rum mixture along with the pineapple, blueberries, and blackberries; mix well.
- 4. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 1 week. Serve over shortcake or pound cake.
- Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
NotesThe Food Police have taken away from us Chinese food, fettucine alfredo, and yummy, yummy trans fats. But now a study published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture may allow us to indulge in our favorite foo-foo cocktails without remorse. Scientists at at Kasetsart University in Thailand and the U.S. Department of Agriculture have discovered that the antioxidant nutrients in strawberries and blackberries are boosted by adding ethanol, the type of alcohol found in rum, tequila, and vodka, among other spirits. Does this mean a cosmo a day keeps the doctor away? Probably not. Most trendy cocktails are made of mostly brightly colored sugar water, and are devoid of the polyphenols and anthocyanins found in real fruit. But a dish of fresh fruit with a splash of your favorite tipple may be just what the doctor ordered.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More