- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 TBS finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups long grain whit rice, such as jasmine
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 scotch bonnet or habanero chile, seeded
- 1 (14oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- salt and freshly ground black peper
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- In large saucepan, heat oil
- Add onion and ginger,
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened (about 5 minutes)
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until coated with the oil.
- Stir in the kidney beans and Scotch bonnet.
- Stir in the coconut mil and water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed (about 18 minutes(.
- Remove the rice from the heat.
- Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork
- Stir in the scallions.
- Season with the salt and black pepper.
- Discard the scotch bonnet.
Notes(Food & Wine June 2008)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Falcon Feast
Babette's Test Kitchen
Short & SweetSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More