- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 TBS finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups long grain whit rice, such as jasmine
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 scotch bonnet or habanero chile, seeded
- 1 (14oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- salt and freshly ground black peper
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- In large saucepan, heat oil
- Add onion and ginger,
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened (about 5 minutes)
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until coated with the oil.
- Stir in the kidney beans and Scotch bonnet.
- Stir in the coconut mil and water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed (about 18 minutes(.
- Remove the rice from the heat.
- Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork
- Stir in the scallions.
- Season with the salt and black pepper.
- Discard the scotch bonnet.
Notes(Food & Wine June 2008)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Two Layer Peppermint Bark
Spicy Bean Tamales
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!See More