- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme and dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 package smoked sausage8 skinless chicken drumsticks or thighs (about 2 pounds), remove skin
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, cleaned
- 1/2 pound fresh okra, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- In saucepan, bring broth, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, marjoram and cayenne to a boil.
- In 5 or 6 quart slow cooker, mix onion, celery, rice, and sausage. Add broth. Tuck in drumsticks, meaty sides down. Scatter bell pepper on top. Cover; cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours, or on high 2-1/2 to 3 hours, until rice has softened and chicken is tender.
- Uncover; turn to high. Add shrimp and okra; cover. Simmer 5 minutes until shrimp are cooked and okra is crisp-tender.
- Remove drumsticks; remove bones, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls; add chicken to each serving.
- Stovetop method:
- In 5-or 6-quart covered Dutch oven, simmer all ingredients, except shrimp and okra, for 1 hour, and 10 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer 5 to 8 minutes.