- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cans (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme and dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 package smoked sausage8 skinless chicken drumsticks or thighs (about 2 pounds), remove skin
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, cleaned
- 1/2 pound fresh okra, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- In saucepan, bring broth, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, marjoram and cayenne to a boil.
- In 5 or 6 quart slow cooker, mix onion, celery, rice, and sausage. Add broth. Tuck in drumsticks, meaty sides down. Scatter bell pepper on top. Cover; cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours, or on high 2-1/2 to 3 hours, until rice has softened and chicken is tender.
- Uncover; turn to high. Add shrimp and okra; cover. Simmer 5 minutes until shrimp are cooked and okra is crisp-tender.
- Remove drumsticks; remove bones, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls; add chicken to each serving.
- Stovetop method:
- In 5-or 6-quart covered Dutch oven, simmer all ingredients, except shrimp and okra, for 1 hour, and 10 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer 5 to 8 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More