- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lb sausage, cut in large bite size chuncks ( I use smoked all beef sausage)
- 1-2 lbs boneless chicken, cut up (I use breasts)
- 1 1/2 - 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or smashed
- 5 cups water
- 3 tb salt (I never put this much salt)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (more or less depending on desired heat)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- 3 cups uncooked rice (not minute rice)
- In a large pot saute' sausage, chicken, onions, bell peppers and garlic until sausage and chicken are browned.
- Add the water, salt, cayenne, bay leaf and tomato paste.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- When water boils add the shrimp and rice.
- Stir well and lower heat to low.
- Let rice simmer, stirring every five minutes until cooked. Usually about 25-30 minutes.
NotesRecently I was watching "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" and the episode was on jambalaya. I could not believe that he did not know how to get the rice done without burning it. I make this recipe a lot for my own family and also to take to families who need a meal for various reasons. Everyone loves it and it couldn't be easier. I've never added the shrimp but I'm sure it would be good that way too. The original recipe came from an internet search of cajun food a couple of years ago.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More