- Servings: 8-10
- 2 lb sausage, cut in large bite size chuncks ( I use smoked all beef sausage)
- 1-2 lbs boneless chicken, cut up (I use breasts)
- 1 1/2 - 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or smashed
- 5 cups water
- 3 tb salt (I never put this much salt)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (more or less depending on desired heat)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- 3 cups uncooked rice (not minute rice)
In a large pot saute' sausage, chicken, onions, bell peppers and garlic until sausage and chicken are browned.
Add the water, salt, cayenne, bay leaf and tomato paste.
Cover and bring to a boil.
When water boils add the shrimp and rice.
Stir well and lower heat to low.
Let rice simmer, stirring every five minutes until cooked. Usually about 25-30 minutes.