- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstorySubmitted by the lovely MacKenzie Cockerill. She says this "extraordinary Cajun comfort food puts meat on your ribs and happy in your heart."
- one (1) deli-roasted whole chicken
- one (1) pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- one (1) medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped
- one (1) small onion, chopped
- two (2) 10 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- one (1) 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- one (1) cup water
- one (1) tsp. garlic powder
- one (1) tsp. Cajun seasoning (I recommend Tony Chachere's)
- two (2) cups uncooked long-grain rice
- Remove chicken from bones; cut chicken into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, 1 cup water, garlic powder, and Cajun seasoning; bring to a
- boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken and rice.
- Cover, reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes or until rice is tender.