JAMES BEARD HAMBURGER
- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- •2 pounds chopped beef chuck or round
- •1 onion
- •1 tablespoon heavy cream
- •Freshly ground black pepper
- •Unsalted butter
- •Vegetable oil, as needed
- •Kosher salt, to taste
- 1.Spread the meat out on a board and grate 2 to 3 tablespoons of onion into it—use a fairly fine grater so you get just the juice and very finely grated raw onion. Now mix in about a tablespoon of heavy cream and some freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Form into patties--a 6 to 8-ounce patty for an average serving.
- 2.Using a black iron skillet or your best copper one or your pet aluminum frying pan, Teflon-coated or not (with a Teflon coating you won't need much fat, just a little bit for flavor), and cook the hamburgers in the butter and oil over fairly high heat, giving it 4 to 5 minutes a side, depending on how well done you like it. Salt this creamy, oniony, peppery hamburger before serving it on a buttered bun or English muffin, or as a main course with sliced tomatoes and onions or some home-fried potatoes.
NotesFor the James Beard lovers Here is his original recipe of the previous Burger I posted.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More