- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (16oz.) pkg. Baby Lima Beans, soaked, rinsed and drained
- lb. bacon, clipped with kitchen scissors in 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 2-3 shakes Lowry's seasoned salt (3/4-1 tsp.)
- 2-3 shakes Mrs. Dash, Table blend
- 2-3 shakes onion powder
- 2-3 shakes garlic powder
- 2-14oz. cans Swanson chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- **Add more S&P if needed after tasting
- Add more S&P if needed after tasting
- Quick Soak Beans: Rinse and sort beans in a large pot. To 1 lb. of beans (2-cups) add 6-8 cups hot water. Bring to rapid boil, boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for one hour. Drain the soaking water and thoroughly rinse beans.
- Add 4 cups of water and 2 cans of broth in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the drained and well rinsed Baby Lima beans, vegetables and seasonings and simmer gently with the lid slightly tilted until desired tenderness is reached, about 1-1 1/2 hours. I usually check every 15 min. or so, give it a good stir, and add more water if necessary during cooking time.
NotesThis is a good rainy day soup to have with a pan of corn bread. One day I didn't have a ham hawk so I used the bacon and it turned out so good I always do it this way now. I use the quick soak method for the beans, see * below. This is also a good way to make great northern beans or pinto beans. Just don't let it boil dry or its going in the trash. (spoken from experience, lol)