- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (16oz.) pkg. Baby Lima Beans, soaked, rinsed and drained
- lb. bacon, clipped with kitchen scissors in 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 2-3 shakes Lowry's seasoned salt (3/4-1 tsp.)
- 2-3 shakes Mrs. Dash, Table blend
- 2-3 shakes onion powder
- 2-3 shakes garlic powder
- 2-14oz. cans Swanson chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- **Add more S&P if needed after tasting
- Add more S&P if needed after tasting
- Quick Soak Beans: Rinse and sort beans in a large pot. To 1 lb. of beans (2-cups) add 6-8 cups hot water. Bring to rapid boil, boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for one hour. Drain the soaking water and thoroughly rinse beans.
- Add 4 cups of water and 2 cans of broth in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the drained and well rinsed Baby Lima beans, vegetables and seasonings and simmer gently with the lid slightly tilted until desired tenderness is reached, about 1-1 1/2 hours. I usually check every 15 min. or so, give it a good stir, and add more water if necessary during cooking time.
NotesThis is a good rainy day soup to have with a pan of corn bread. One day I didn't have a ham hawk so I used the bacon and it turned out so good I always do it this way now. I use the quick soak method for the beans, see * below. This is also a good way to make great northern beans or pinto beans. Just don't let it boil dry or its going in the trash. (spoken from experience, lol)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More