- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4 1-cup servings
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups cooked white steamed rice (we prefer medium grain, non-instant)
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (or more if desired)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup eggbeaters
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked meat (chicken, ham, beef, bacon, shrimp, pork, etc)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (we prefer Kikkoman)
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 2 tablespoons oil (we prefer canola)
- In large skillet or wok, pour 2 tablespoon oil. When hot, add green onions, mushrooms, and cooked meat. Stir fry until green onions are soft, then put this mixture aside in separate dish.
- Next, scramble the eggs and place in another dish.
- Add three tablespoon oil to the large skillet and place cooked rice in skillet. Stir fry the rice about 10 minutes on med-high heat.
- To rice, add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 tablespoon catsup (may add more to suit your taste). Then add the rest of other ingredients - stir together and continue frying 5 more minutes.
- May garnish with slivered toasted almonds;or chopped cilantro; and pickled thin sliced ginger.
- (for vegetarians, omit meat)
NotesMy mother is Japanese and always prepared this for our family since we were children. She enticed my brothers to eat this by adding catsup as an ingredient. Plus it adds color to the dish! I want to share this recipe because it a unique and very tasty way to use up leftover rice and meat. It is also a meat stretcher.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More