- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is the sort of salad you can prepare in minimal time, looks impressive and is loaded with protein and omega fatty acids.
*If green mango is unavailable substitute green papaya, and if that fails add some ruby grapefruit segments roughly chopped.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 200g (7oz) fresh kingfish, skin and bones removed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbs palm sugar
- 2 limes
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- A handful of bean sprouts
- 2 large red chillies, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 2 small green mangoes, peeled, sliced and finely shredded (the French call it julienne)
- ½ bunch mint leaves
- ½ bunch coriander leaves
- ½ handful, crisp fried Asian shallots
- 1. Heat oil in a pan till a blue haze appears. Add kingfish and brown on both sides for a couple of minutes. Now depending on how thick the fish is, will determine on how cooked your piece of fish is.
- 2. In a mortar and pestle, (a big heavy bowl looking thing with a heavy short stick for crushing food stuffs) add the chopped chilli, garlic and palm sugar. Crush to a paste. Add the lime juice and fish sauce. Taste it, it should be good. If the flavours are a little unbalanced, add a little more chilli or palm sugar to your liking.
- 3. After the kingfish has had a few minutes to rest, slice it thinly, place into a large mixing bowl, along with remaining ingredients and dressing. Mix lightly and serve.