- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 200g (7oz) fresh kingfish, skin and bones removed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbs palm sugar
- 2 limes
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- A handful of bean sprouts
- 2 large red chillies, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 2 small green mangoes, peeled, sliced and finely shredded (the French call it julienne)
- ½ bunch mint leaves
- ½ bunch coriander leaves
- ½ handful, crisp fried Asian shallots
- 1. Heat oil in a pan till a blue haze appears. Add kingfish and brown on both sides for a couple of minutes. Now depending on how thick the fish is, will determine on how cooked your piece of fish is.
- 2. In a mortar and pestle, (a big heavy bowl looking thing with a heavy short stick for crushing food stuffs) add the chopped chilli, garlic and palm sugar. Crush to a paste. Add the lime juice and fish sauce. Taste it, it should be good. If the flavours are a little unbalanced, add a little more chilli or palm sugar to your liking.
- 3. After the kingfish has had a few minutes to rest, slice it thinly, place into a large mixing bowl, along with remaining ingredients and dressing. Mix lightly and serve.
NotesThis is the sort of salad you can prepare in minimal time, looks impressive and is loaded with protein and omega fatty acids.
*If green mango is unavailable substitute green papaya, and if that fails add some ruby grapefruit segments roughly chopped.