- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs(dried or fresh will work)
- 1/4 cup crushed cereal (cornflakes, bran flakes, whatever...)
- 2 T flour
- 2 T nutrional yeast (can find it at the health food store or just leave it out)
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to your liking
- 1 egg
- Jerk Marinade:
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 habanero or scotch bonnet chile(like i mention in the comments i used zavory pepper which gives you the flavor without the mouth numbing heat. i think habaneros are really too hot to enjoy)
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves
- 2 T fresh minced ginger
- 2 T oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- Soak eggplant in cold salted water 30-45 minutes.
- Drain, rinse and pat dry.
- Make the marinade by blending it all together in the food processor. Then pour into bag or dish that will hold all your eggplant slices.
- Add your eggplant and coat thoroughly. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 450 and place baking sheet in oven to heat.
- Mix breadcrumbs, cereal, flour, yeast, paprika, salt and pepper in shallow dish.
- In another bowl beat egg lightly with a little water or milk.
- Coat eggplant in egg then breadcrumbs and set aside on parchment or another baking sheet until all are coated.
- Remove sheet from oven and coat with a little oil, tipping to cover. Place eggplant on hot sheet and return to oven, turning down to 375.
- Bake 30 minutes then flip them.
- Bake another 20 or so until nice and browned.
NotesOne of my favorite ways to eat eggplant. I grew some zavory peppers this year which have the flavor of habaneros without the heat. So tasty! This was taken from the Passionate Vegetarian cookbook.
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Food Travels Through Italy
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Mom's Spanish Rice
Simply Delicious Mac-n-Cheese Casserole
Holiday BellsSee More