- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs(dried or fresh will work)
- 1/4 cup crushed cereal (cornflakes, bran flakes, whatever...)
- 2 T flour
- 2 T nutrional yeast (can find it at the health food store or just leave it out)
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to your liking
- 1 egg
- Jerk Marinade:
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 habanero or scotch bonnet chile(like i mention in the comments i used zavory pepper which gives you the flavor without the mouth numbing heat. i think habaneros are really too hot to enjoy)
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves
- 2 T fresh minced ginger
- 2 T oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
Soak eggplant in cold salted water 30-45 minutes.
Drain, rinse and pat dry.
Make the marinade by blending it all together in the food processor. Then pour into bag or dish that will hold all your eggplant slices.
Add your eggplant and coat thoroughly. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
Heat oven to 450 and place baking sheet in oven to heat.
Mix breadcrumbs, cereal, flour, yeast, paprika, salt and pepper in shallow dish.
In another bowl beat egg lightly with a little water or milk.
Coat eggplant in egg then breadcrumbs and set aside on parchment or another baking sheet until all are coated.
Remove sheet from oven and coat with a little oil, tipping to cover. Place eggplant on hot sheet and return to oven, turning down to 375.
Bake 30 minutes then flip them.
Bake another 20 or so until nice and browned.