- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs(dried or fresh will work)
- 1/4 cup crushed cereal (cornflakes, bran flakes, whatever...)
- 2 T flour
- 2 T nutrional yeast (can find it at the health food store or just leave it out)
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to your liking
- 1 egg
- Jerk Marinade:
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 habanero or scotch bonnet chile(like i mention in the comments i used zavory pepper which gives you the flavor without the mouth numbing heat. i think habaneros are really too hot to enjoy)
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves
- 2 T fresh minced ginger
- 2 T oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- Soak eggplant in cold salted water 30-45 minutes.
- Drain, rinse and pat dry.
- Make the marinade by blending it all together in the food processor. Then pour into bag or dish that will hold all your eggplant slices.
- Add your eggplant and coat thoroughly. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 450 and place baking sheet in oven to heat.
- Mix breadcrumbs, cereal, flour, yeast, paprika, salt and pepper in shallow dish.
- In another bowl beat egg lightly with a little water or milk.
- Coat eggplant in egg then breadcrumbs and set aside on parchment or another baking sheet until all are coated.
- Remove sheet from oven and coat with a little oil, tipping to cover. Place eggplant on hot sheet and return to oven, turning down to 375.
- Bake 30 minutes then flip them.
- Bake another 20 or so until nice and browned.
NotesOne of my favorite ways to eat eggplant. I grew some zavory peppers this year which have the flavor of habaneros without the heat. So tasty! This was taken from the Passionate Vegetarian cookbook.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More