- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI stumbled across this recipe when I was looking for something easy to make for a busy morning. I made it the night before and baked it that morning. Less hassle on a hectic day.
May be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking.
- 1 pkg.Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup thin-sliced green onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 F. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well. Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient. Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.
- May be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking.