- Cooking Time: 2 to 3 hours
- Servings: Approximately 8
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups dry Lentils
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 handful bagged spinach, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 sprinkle of dry parseley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 bay leaf
- sprinkle of basil (or 2TBS fresh basil)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayene pepper
- 7 1/3 cups broth
- ground pepper
- In a large pot, combnie all meaured ingredients. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for approximately 2 to 3 hours*. Add the ground pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
- *If you allow it to simmer too long, the moisture will vanish.
NotesThis soup is so good and mild. Not only is it easy, it's healthy! If you're trying to cut down on salt, in cooking, this is a perfect soup for you to make!
It's sodium free and virtually moistureless (so add approximately 1 cup of water, when warming it up on the stove.) Anyway, I wanted to make some soup, and this classic recipe was the one, for which I had everything needed.
Note: If there appears to be two of this recipe, it's because I had to re-log in in order to submit it, then start over, to complete the process.