- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 baked pie shell, 9 inches, cooled
- 1 cup sugar (white is best)
- 5 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated orange peel
- 3 egg whites*
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or another extract
- in a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the warm water and orange juice. Cook ove low heat, constantly stirring, unitl the mixture thickens and begins to boil. Set mixture over boilng wter and continue cooking for upto 10 mintues more.
- Beat the yolks lightly then beat a little of the hot mizture into them. Add the egg yolkd mizture back into the hot mixture in top of double boiler, whisking well. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, constantly sitirring. Remove from hot water. Blend in the butter, lemon jujice and orange peel. Allow mixture to cook, the pour into the baked shell. Spoon meringue onto pie, spreading crust edges to seal in the filling. bake at 325 f for 15 to 18 minutes, until nicely borwned. Donot freeze the pie after baking , because the meringue will not do well in freezer.
- Merngue directions: Beat egg whites* until forthy; add the tatar and continue to beat until stiff enough to hold up. Graduallly add the sguar and continue beating utnil stiff and gloassy. Add vanilla or other flavoring.
NotesI always loved lemon meringue pie and I like to be creative. Then one day, I found a recipe, for Orange Meringue Pie. I decided to try it. It was so delicious, that I made it at least 8 times. Yum!