- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 7
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryPirog derives from the Russian word pir, meaning feast. Not suprisingly, the dish is the Russian party food par excellence.
My recipe, here, makes a round meat pie, instead of the traditional rectangle.
- 1 recipe for yeast dough
- 1/4 cup fine dry, unflavored bread crumbs
- 1 recipe meat filling
- 1 large egg yolk, abused (I mean beaten ) with 1 teaspoon milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 inch pie pan*.
- Divide dough into two balls.
- ON a floured surface, roll out with a floured rolling pin, the first of the balls, to the a flat circle.
- Sprinkle the dough with the crumbs and spread the meat fililng evenly over the crumbs.
- Roll out second ball into a flat circle, and place it on top. Seal the edges and brush it with egg wash. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the center of rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, cutting into wedges to be served along side some rice.
- Serves approximatley 7.