- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 quart of low fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 2 teaspoonsof cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 cups of flour
- Vegetable oil or vegetable shortening for frying
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over them.
- Make sure they are all coated.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Pour the oil into a large heavy bottomed deep skillet or stockpot to a depth of 1-inch and heat to 360 degrees on a thermometer.
- Working in batches, carefully place several pieces of chicken in the oil and fry for about 3 or 4 minutes on each side until the coating is a golden brown.
- Don’t crowd the pieces.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a metal baking rack that is on top of a cookie sheet that has sides. (I cover the cookie sheet with foil)
- Always allow the oil to return to the 360 degrees before frying more chicken.
- When all chicken is fried, bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Serve hot.
NotesThis is a favorite recipe of my family. Tastes as good as my Grandma's did.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Cooking with SabraSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More