- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup fine sugar (I used bakers sugar)
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 6 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate (I used bitter-sweet by accident)
- 4 tablespoons strong coffee
- 6 oz unsalted butter, softened (I didn't have unsalted so I used regular)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until the mixture is thick, pale yellow and forms a dissolving ribbon. Beat in the orange liqueur.
- Set the mixing bowl over a not-quite-simmering pot of water and continue beating for 3 - 4 minutes until the mixture is foamy.
- Then place the bowl over cold water and beat for another 3 - 4 minutes until the mixture is cool and forms the ribbon again. Julia says that it will have the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Chop up all your chocolate. Combine the chocolate and coffee and melt in a double boiler or if you don't have one, (cuz I don't) put it in a bowl and put the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Stir until melted.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and beat in the butter, a little at a time until smooth and creamy.
- Beat the chocolate into the egg yolks and sugar mixture. Beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks are formed. Sprinkle in the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks are formed. Stir one forth of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the rest. Turn into a serving dish or dessert cups.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours
NotesI won tickets for the advance screening of Julie & Julia, thanks to this wonderful site! (I can't thank you enough Babette!!). I loved the movie and am planning on seeing it again. In the mean time, I wanted to "celebrate" the occasion with one of Julie Child's recipe from her Mastering the Art of French Cooking cookbook.
it is the most awesome chocolate mousse I have ever had! Hands down!!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
The Naked MacaronSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More