- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAka Gateau A L'Orange Et Aux Amandes. I was looking for something to make to put some extra cream cheese frosting on. I happened to have all the ingredients. Julia's recipe is for a sponge cake but I didn't want to ice a whole cake...thus the cupcake version was set in motion.
For the pulverized almonds in this recipe put a cup of almonds in the food processor along with several tablespoons of sugar (this keeps the almonds from getting all lumpy from the oils thus preventing you from adding them to your dry ingredients). Turn on the food processor and "blend" until....well.....until the almonds are thoroughly pulverized I s'pose
- Sponge Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- zest from one orange
- 1/3 cup orange juice, strained
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup pulverized almonds
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite cream cheese icing
- 1 tablespoon cointreau
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- zest from 1/2 of an orange
- Preheat your oven to 350' and line your muffin pan. You'll probably need to line about 10
- Melt the butter and set aside
- Start out by beating 2/3 cup of sugar into the egg yolks, gradually....and continue to beat until the mixture is thick and forms a ribbon when you lift the beaters out of the bowl.
- Add the orange zest, orange juice and almond extract and beat until it becomes light and foamy...should only take a minute or two
- Now add the pulverized almonds....and lastly add in the flour
- In another bowl, beat your egg whites and that pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Add in a tablespoon of sugar and beat until those peaks become stiff
- fold the butter into the cake batter (thats the bowl with the yellow stuff in it...NOT the egg whites). Don't add the residue that has settled in the bottom of the butter pan.
- Take one cup of the egg whites and stir into the yellow batter. Then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites
- immediately pour into your prepared pan...all the way up to the rim of the pan. Bake on the middle rack of your oven.
- I think I started checking the doneness after 20 minutes with the clean toothpick trick. Another good way to tell is the top is puffed, browned lightly and its springy.
- Let cool completely
- Combine icing ingredients and ice the cupcakes