- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe is fabulous as is, but please note the variations below prior to making this soup to add all your own special choices to make it your own. Don't let the simplicity of this soup fool you - it's packed with flavor and is a favorite at my house!
- 2 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cans 14 1/2 oz. cans of No-Fat Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 can 4 oz. can Green Chiles, chopped
- 1 can 14 1/2 oz. Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes**, undrained
- 1 Tab. Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin, ground
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken or Turkey, chopped or shredded
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro or Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Saute onion (and any added veggies below) in olive oil over medium heat until tender, about five minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute more. Add the chicken broth, green chiles, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, (and other added ingredients if using), cooked chicken or turkey, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring just to boil, then turn to low and simmer just 10-15 minutes. (Can keep soup warm on low until dinner time.) Ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips and any of your favorite toppings, shredded cheese, sliced green onions or jalapenos, or even sliced avocado or sour cream.
- Add other vegetables to this soup for more nutrition and flavor:
- At the time you add the onion, you can also add chopped bell pepper or chopped zucchini. At the time you add the broth, you can add canned black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained, and corn kernels to the other ingredients. If you want to make it vegetarian, substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth and you can also substitute a little white wine or beer for some of the liquid. And you can top it with your choice of cheese, tortilla strips, sliced green onions, jalapenos, sliced avocado, salsa, sour cream, or sliced black olives. These are simply suggestions: You can pick any toppings or additions that you want!
- For Homemade Tortilla Strips:
- *Cut 1/4 - 1/2" Strips of either corn or flour tortillas with a pizza cutter and brown in canola or olive oil over medium heat or bake in oven until golden brown.
- ** can add ground red pepper or red pepper flakes or chopped hot peppers for a hotter version of this soup if using regular diced tomatoes --- the Mexican Tomatoes will give it a little kick with added chiles.
- ***You can also substitute one bottle of Mexican Beer for one can of the chicken broth. Continuing my love affair with the Chipotle Pepper -- these wonderful smoked jalepeno peppers in adobo sauce found in the Mexican section of Jungle Jim's add not only a subtle heat to any dish, but also a pleasant smoky undertone -- they're fantastic! Feel free to add 1/2 pepper, minced to this recipe. Don't let the simplicity of this soup fool you - it's packed with flavor and is a favorite at my house!
Bombshell Approved: Fast, Simple, Satisfying
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Anisette sponge cookiesSee More