- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 120 plus refrigerating
- 150 g water (at 95ºF)
- 6 g instant yeast
- 500 g spelt flour (or 250 g spelt and 250 g bread flour)
- 11 g salt
- 3 g dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 28 g/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 212 g pumpkin puree (1/2 can)
- 60 g pumpkin seeds, toasted
- milk, for brushing
- DAY 1
- Dissolve instant yeast in warm water. Mix together with all other ingredients (except toasted pumpkin seeds), at low speed (or by hand) for 1 - 2 minutes, until a rough ball forms. Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Knead dough at medium-low speed (or by hand) for 2 minutes, adjusting with more water if necessary, dough should still be sticky.
- Add toasted pumpkin seeds. Resume kneading for another 4 min., the last 20 seconds at medium-high speed (or more vigorously). Dough should still be somewhat sticky.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work bench. With wet (or oiled) hands, stretch dough gently into a rough square, and fold it first like a business letter, then again in thirds from both sides.
- Gather edges of dough package underneath to form a ball, and place, seam side down, in oiled bowl. Cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this stretching and folding process 3 more times, with 10 minute intervals. Place dough in oiled container, turning it around to coat from all sides. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- DAY 2
- Remove dough from refrigerator 2 hours before using, to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF/230ºC, including baking stone and steam pan.
- Shape bread into a boule, and place, seam side down, on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush bread with milk, score with large, leaf shaped cookie cutter and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, lightly pressing them into dough. Spray with oil spray and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let loaf ferment at room temperature for 45 - 60 minutes, until it has grown to 1 1/2 times its original size.
- Place bread in oven, pour 1 cup boiling water in steam pan, reduce heat to 400ºF/200ºC and bake for 17 minutes. Rotate loaf 180 degrees, remove steam pan, and continue baking for another 18 minutes, or until golden brown and internal temperature 200ºF/93ºC.
- Cool bread on wire rack.
NotesThis is one of my old German recipes that I adapted to American ingredients and modern baking techniques. It is a real bread, not the cake Americans call quick bread.
The pretty leaf scoring pattern is made with a giant cookie cutter.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More