- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 120 plus refrigerating
- 150 g water (at 95ºF)
- 6 g instant yeast
- 500 g spelt flour (or 250 g spelt and 250 g bread flour)
- 11 g salt
- 3 g dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 28 g/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 212 g pumpkin puree (1/2 can)
- 60 g pumpkin seeds, toasted
- milk, for brushing
- DAY 1
- Dissolve instant yeast in warm water. Mix together with all other ingredients (except toasted pumpkin seeds), at low speed (or by hand) for 1 - 2 minutes, until a rough ball forms. Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Knead dough at medium-low speed (or by hand) for 2 minutes, adjusting with more water if necessary, dough should still be sticky.
- Add toasted pumpkin seeds. Resume kneading for another 4 min., the last 20 seconds at medium-high speed (or more vigorously). Dough should still be somewhat sticky.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work bench. With wet (or oiled) hands, stretch dough gently into a rough square, and fold it first like a business letter, then again in thirds from both sides.
- Gather edges of dough package underneath to form a ball, and place, seam side down, in oiled bowl. Cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this stretching and folding process 3 more times, with 10 minute intervals. Place dough in oiled container, turning it around to coat from all sides. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- DAY 2
- Remove dough from refrigerator 2 hours before using, to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF/230ºC, including baking stone and steam pan.
- Shape bread into a boule, and place, seam side down, on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush bread with milk, score with large, leaf shaped cookie cutter and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, lightly pressing them into dough. Spray with oil spray and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let loaf ferment at room temperature for 45 - 60 minutes, until it has grown to 1 1/2 times its original size.
- Place bread in oven, pour 1 cup boiling water in steam pan, reduce heat to 400ºF/200ºC and bake for 17 minutes. Rotate loaf 180 degrees, remove steam pan, and continue baking for another 18 minutes, or until golden brown and internal temperature 200ºF/93ºC.
- Cool bread on wire rack.
NotesThis is one of my old German recipes that I adapted to American ingredients and modern baking techniques. It is a real bread, not the cake Americans call quick bread.
The pretty leaf scoring pattern is made with a giant cookie cutter.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More