- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound ground beef, ground chuck, or ground sirloin
- Olive oil (enough to cover bottom of pan)
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp dried green pepper pieces (or about 1/8 of a green pepper finely diced) - optional
- 2 ribs of celery, finely diced
- Mushrooms, canned/drained or fresh- optional
- 1 qt home canned tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- Water (1/2 of a tomato paste can)
- 1 15-16 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (or more) of a blend of Parmesan, Romano, Asiago cheeses (don't have it on hand, just use Parmesan cheese)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (more if you like it hotter)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 8-10 fennel seeds (count them out individually)
- 1/2-1 tsp garlic (use the amount you prefer) - I will also put in some minced garlic.
- Brown ground beef. Once browned, put into a colander and drain off the grease and then just run a little hot water over it to get residual grease off the meat.
- Saute the onion, green pepper, and celery in the olive oil. Once the onion is soft, add all of the other ingredients and stir well. Bring to a simmer, and cook about an hour or until it is as thick as you like. After about 10 minutes into the cooking, taste test it and see if you want more salt, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, etc.
- Serve over spaghetti or use for lasagna sauce.
- I don't like to make it in the crockpot, because the color gets too dark. Doesn't look as appetizing.
NotesI have had so many people ask for this recipe, but I don't use a recipe! So, one day I decided to measure the ingredients as I put the sauce together so I could share the recipe. This is a really good sauce recipe. The optional items go in the pot depending upon who will be eating the spaghetti.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat Necessary
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More