Kaffir Lime Leaf Scented Butter Clam Soup
6oz celery, diced
6oz carrot, diced
12oz yellow onion, diced
8oz Yukon gold potatoes, diced
1Q fish stock (preferably homemade)
2T dry white wine
1 sprig thyme
4 kaffir lime leaves
1 sprig rosemary
1 lemon, juiced
5 roma tomatoes, chopped
4oz Chinese sausage, chopped
1/2 tsp capers, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
8-10 butter clams, scrubbed
Fish sauce - to taste
Salt - to taste
White pepper - to taste
Sugar - to taste
1 tsp chives, minced
1 tsp parsley, minced
1. Render fat from chinese sausage in large rondeau.
2. Add garlic, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes and saute until onions are translucent.
3. Deglaze with white wine and simmer until au sec.
4. Add fish stock with thyme, rosemary, kaffir, tomatoes, capers, and lemon juice. Bring to a rolling boil.
5. Add clams and cook until clams open.
6. Remove clams and remove meat. Place shells back into soup.
7. Lower heat to low and cover. Let cook 45 minutes, adding fish sauce, salt, pepper, sugar to taste.
8. Chop up clam meat and reserve until soup is finished cooking.
9. Remove from heat and stir in clam meat. Top with chives and parsley.
Pairs Well With
Being a Pacific Northwest bred gal, clam chowder is a staple in the household due to many clam-hunting excursions. Unfortunately, my mother is lactose intolerant so my family usually makes clam soup instead! We add a few Asian twists to this soup so it's particularly fragrant and very different. Our family's favorite clam for this soup is the meaty, rich butter clam! My favorite part of the clam is the snout, so my mother always keeps it whole just for me ;)