- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe cupcake recipe comes from Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella. The frosting recipe was created by me!
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup Kahlúa
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Insert 24 liners into a medium cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, cocoa, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and creamy, 3-5 minutes. Add egg yolks and beat for 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix water and Kahlúa.
- In another large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternating with the Kahlua mixture. Mix on medium speed until ingredients are completely combined.
- With clean beaters and a large bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar to make a meringue (see MY NOTES above). With a rubber spatula, fold the meringue into the batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.