KALE, NORTHERN BEAN & PASTA CASSEROLE
Kale, Northern Bean & Pasta Casserole
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- 2 Medium bunches Kale, washed trimmed & cut into pieces
- 1 Medium onion, lg dice
- Cut up pepperoni or any spicy meat of your choice (or not!)
- Olive oil & 1 T butter
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic, chopped (amount to your liking) I used pre-jarred minced garlic with hot peppers 1 T
- 2 cans Great Northern White Beans (mostly drained, NOT rinsed)
- Bow Tie or other pasta of choice 1/2 to 3/4 lb Cooked in chicken broth.
- Red pepper flakes to taste, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan (a lot!)
cook the pasta in the broth to al dente. Drain reserving 1/4 C pasta broth & Set aside.
In Large pot sauté chopped onion in olive oil & butter until translucent (do not brown).
Add to this the Kale, some S & P, and Red pepper flakes to taste. Remember the beans will be adding a bit of salt too...
Let Kale cook down & wilt, keep it turning gently, after moisture from washed Kale seems to be going away
add 1/4 to 1/2 C chicken broth to pot to finish wilting down the Kale. Covering the pot for a few minutes accelerates
the wilting process. But keep checking it or it will go too quick!
Keep scooping under & over to rotate Kale & onions to cook evenly. do not crush or mash!
Keep bright green & slightly firm. Add beans and gently toss through.
Add pre-cooked Pasta & 1/4 C reserved pasta broth. toss through with Parmesan!
Can add diced pepperoni or hot Portuguese sausage to the onion stage if desired. Serve as a main course with Crusty Bread or as a side dish. Top with a bit more parmesan & Paprika for color.
Delicious with eggs in the morning too!