- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- 2 Medium bunches Kale, washed trimmed & cut into pieces
- 1 Medium onion, lg dice
- Cut up pepperoni or any spicy meat of your choice (or not!)
- Olive oil & 1 T butter
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic, chopped (amount to your liking) I used pre-jarred minced garlic with hot peppers 1 T
- 2 cans Great Northern White Beans (mostly drained, NOT rinsed)
- Bow Tie or other pasta of choice 1/2 to 3/4 lb Cooked in chicken broth.
- Red pepper flakes to taste, Salt & Pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan (a lot!)
- cook the pasta in the broth to al dente. Drain reserving 1/4 C pasta broth & Set aside.
- In Large pot sauté chopped onion in olive oil & butter until translucent (do not brown).
- Add to this the Kale, some S & P, and Red pepper flakes to taste. Remember the beans will be adding a bit of salt too...
- Let Kale cook down & wilt, keep it turning gently, after moisture from washed Kale seems to be going away
- add 1/4 to 1/2 C chicken broth to pot to finish wilting down the Kale. Covering the pot for a few minutes accelerates
- the wilting process. But keep checking it or it will go too quick!
- Keep scooping under & over to rotate Kale & onions to cook evenly. do not crush or mash!
- Keep bright green & slightly firm. Add beans and gently toss through.
- Add pre-cooked Pasta & 1/4 C reserved pasta broth. toss through with Parmesan!
- Can add diced pepperoni or hot Portuguese sausage to the onion stage if desired. Serve as a main course with Crusty Bread or as a side dish. Top with a bit more parmesan & Paprika for color.
- Delicious with eggs in the morning too!
NotesMy best friend is Portuguese! She and her mom make kale soup from a family recipe. I loved the flavors but wanted to try to change up the texture to a thicker stew type dish. Well I changed out so many of the ingredients and process, we now just call it Laura's Kale Casserole. My sister never thought she would like beans like these & she LOVES this dish! It is easy, hearty & so satisfying! Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Cooking with Sabra
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More