- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 small bunch kale
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- one 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Wash kale well. Remove leaves from stems and discard center ribs. Tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy stockpot over medium-low heat and saute the onion, stirring occasionally, until it begins to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute the mixture another minute.
- Add the beans, broth, and oregano, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the kale and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with parm.
NotesMy friend Kitty emailed me this recipe; we tried it a few nights ago and really enjoyed it. It smells heavenly when it's cooking from the garlic and onion, and it tastes like a fairly light Italian appetizer soup. To make it heartier for a full meal, next time we might add carrots, potatoes, peppers, or other vegetables. This is a simple, tasty meal.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More