- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy friend Kitty emailed me this recipe; we tried it a few nights ago and really enjoyed it. It smells heavenly when it's cooking from the garlic and onion, and it tastes like a fairly light Italian appetizer soup. To make it heartier for a full meal, next time we might add carrots, potatoes, peppers, or other vegetables. This is a simple, tasty meal.
- 1 small bunch kale
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- one 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Wash kale well. Remove leaves from stems and discard center ribs. Tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy stockpot over medium-low heat and saute the onion, stirring occasionally, until it begins to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute the mixture another minute.
- Add the beans, broth, and oregano, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the kale and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with parm.