- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryOur friend Diane M. tried this recipe which she found on Aloha World.com and she swears by it.
If you are on a low sodium diet than Kalua Turkey is not recommended.
- 18 to 20 pound turkey
- 2 handfuls of Hawaiian salt*
- 1/2 bottle of liquid smoke
- 2 to 3 Ti leaves*
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- Remove neck, giblets and heart from turkey cavities.
- Wash turkey well with cold water.
- Drain turkey and pat dry.
- Line baking pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place turkey in foil.
- Rub inside cavities and outside of turkey well with Hawaiian salt.
- Pour liquid smoke inside cavities and outside of turkey.
- Cover with washed and boned Ti leaves.
- Wrap turkey well with heavy-duty aluminum foil sealing all edges so that no steam can escape. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350ºF for 2 hours. Lower temperature to 225ºF and bake an additional 5 hours.
- Remove from oven, then open top foil.
- Seperate the turkey meat from the bones and shred.
- Add more Hawaiian salt and liquid smoke to juices if needed.
- Places shredded turkey in another pan and pour juices over turkey and kou kou (eat).
- "Hele mai ho'omaha ko kino, mai, mai kakou e'ai!" (Come and rest yourself, come, come and eat!)
- *Ti leaves and Hawaiian salt can be purchases at Marukai's and on the Internet