- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 18 to 20 pound turkey
- 2 handfuls of Hawaiian salt*
- 1/2 bottle of liquid smoke
- 2 to 3 Ti leaves*
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- Remove neck, giblets and heart from turkey cavities.
- Wash turkey well with cold water.
- Drain turkey and pat dry.
- Line baking pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place turkey in foil.
- Rub inside cavities and outside of turkey well with Hawaiian salt.
- Pour liquid smoke inside cavities and outside of turkey.
- Cover with washed and boned Ti leaves.
- Wrap turkey well with heavy-duty aluminum foil sealing all edges so that no steam can escape. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350ºF for 2 hours. Lower temperature to 225ºF and bake an additional 5 hours.
- Remove from oven, then open top foil.
- Seperate the turkey meat from the bones and shred.
- Add more Hawaiian salt and liquid smoke to juices if needed.
- Places shredded turkey in another pan and pour juices over turkey and kou kou (eat).
- "Hele mai ho'omaha ko kino, mai, mai kakou e'ai!" (Come and rest yourself, come, come and eat!)
- *Ti leaves and Hawaiian salt can be purchases at Marukai's and on the Internet
NotesOur friend Diane M. tried this recipe which she found on Aloha World.com and she swears by it.
If you are on a low sodium diet than Kalua Turkey is not recommended.
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2014
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More