- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups plus 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup cider vinnegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer for 25 minutes or until slightly thickened. Yield 5 cups. (serving size about 2 tablespoons).
- Nutritional Facts per serving: Calories 31; Fat 0.1g (sat.0, mono 0,poly 0); Protein 0.3g; Carb 7.8g, Fiber 0.2g;Chol 0 mg; Iron 0.3 mg; Sodium 198 mg; Calcium 12 mg.
- Source: July 2007 issue of Cooking Light.
NotesSince I'm on a low sodium diet, we have been looking for a barbecue sauce which is not high in sodium and taste great. We found it in the Kansas City Barbecue sauce which we slightly changed to our taste.