- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6-9
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 lbs smoked sausage or kielbasa
- 4 peppers (1 green, 1 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow)
- 2 largish yellow onions
- 2 16-oz cans of sauerkraut
- olive oil
- Chop the peppers and onions into slightly smaller than bit-sized pieces.
- In a large pot, heat a few teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Saute vegetables in oil until onions are soft.
- Add sauerkraut to pot and mix vegetables together.
- Cut sausage into bite-sized slices. Add sausage to the pot and mix everything together.
- Lower heat. Cover the pot and allow to simmer, stirring every 5-10 minutes.
- Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until meat it cooked thoroughly.
NotesThis is how I make the traditional Slavic dish, kapusta.
The first time I made it, I thought I had invented it. Then my multiple Slavic-heritage roommates told me otherwise.
Kapusta is the Russian word for cabbage, which makes sense since the main ingredient is sauerkraut.