- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 Cup sugar
- 8 Eggs, seperated
- 4 Cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 Teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Cups sifted flour
- 1/4 Cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Cup honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons dark rum
- 1. Beat the butter and the sugar until fluffy.
- 2. Add egg yolks and beat with electric beater until very light.
- 3. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- 4. Combine the 4 cups walnuts, cinnamon, baking powder and flour.
- 5. Fold into butter-sugar-egg mixture until blended.
- 6. Turn into two buttered 9 x 9 inch cake pans.
- 7. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup walnuts on top.
- 8. Bake in a pre-heated 350ºF oven for 45 minutes.
- 9. Cool in cake pans on cake racks for 1 hour.
- 1. Boil together sugar and water until the syrup spins a thread or until a candy thermometer inserted registers 230ºF.
- 2. Stir in honey, cinnamon and rum.
- Cut the baked product into diamond shaped pieces.
- Cover with hot syrup and let stand 8 hours to allow the syrup to permeate.
NotesKaredopeta is a delicious and easy dessert and is a great companion with any Greek meal.
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
No-Bake Flag Cookies
Aunt Sherry’s Chicken Cacciatore
Strawberry Cheese TartSee More