Karen's Version of Frog Eye Salad
Why I Love This Recipe
I grew up on this stuff. We had it for every holiday or family event. Most frog eye salads call for mini marshmallows. I don't like them because they get soggy and sticky. It is funny how many people have never heard of this salad, but once they have it, they are hooked.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 lb acini di pepe pasta (located with pasta)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple in juice, crushed (reserve juice)
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice (reserve juice)
1 (20 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
1 pint Cool Whip
1. Prepare acini de pepe as directed on box.
2. In saucepan beat eggs with wire whisk until foamy.
3. Stir in flour, salt, sugar and pineapple liquid.
4. Cook over low heat until thick and bubbly.
5. In large bowl combine acini de pepe with egg mixture and chill.
6. Stir in pineapple, oranges and fruit cocktail (I like the kind with extra cherries).
7. Fold in Cool Whip.
8. Cover and Chill thoroughly.