- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup sweet white rice flour
- 2/3 cup potato starch flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 ½ tsp egg replacer
- 1 ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 egg whites (2/3 cup)
- 2/3 cups white vegetable shortening (i.e. Crisco)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- Sift flour, baking powder, egg replacer, xanthan gum, and salt together. Cream shortening with sugar and extracts until fluffy. Add sifted dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately in small amounts until blended. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into batter. Pour into greased pans and let them stand for about 2-3 minutes. Then bake in moderate oven (350F) for 30 minutes. Makes 3 (9” x 2" round) layers.
- **Special Note: You need to keep this cake in a sealed container as much as possible. Gluten Free baked goods dry out very quickly.
NotesI love to bake and even teach Wilton courses. However, about 2 years ago my husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Celiac Disease is an inherited autoimmune disease. The only treatment for Celiac Disease is a life-long gluten free diet. That means he can't eat anything with wheat, barley, or rye (or any of their gluten filled derivatives). In order to fulfill my love of cake decorating...and his love of cake eating...I adapted his favorite white cake recipe into this gluten free version.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More