- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium leek (white part only) finely chopped (I didn't have any so I added 1/2 yellow bell pepper instead...not that its the same or close, but it worked)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (my addition)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced or 2 - 16 oz cans diced tomatoes (I used the cans)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock (I used a homemade stock that I had in the freezer)
- 1/2 cup light cream (I had Mexican crema on hand, so I used it)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium to large saucepan and saute the onions, leeks (and or bell pepper), carrot, and celery until the onion is transparent.Toss in the garlic and saute for another minute
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour until incorporated and then add the stock and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a blender or with an immersion blender, puree the mixture until smooth. If you use a blender, you will need to do this in steps or else you will have tomato soup splattered all over your kitchen
- Return to the pan and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes...3 - 4. Turn off the heat, stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cream, sour cream or yogurt and some fresh basil
NotesKaren shared this recipe with us over in the forums and I have to say...it's fabulous!!! Thank you Karen! :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Jean’s Recipe FileSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More