KAREN'S (AKA GIGI) CREAMY TOMATO SOUP
- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium leek (white part only) finely chopped (I didn't have any so I added 1/2 yellow bell pepper instead...not that its the same or close, but it worked)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (my addition)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced or 2 - 16 oz cans diced tomatoes (I used the cans)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock (I used a homemade stock that I had in the freezer)
- 1/2 cup light cream (I had Mexican crema on hand, so I used it)
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a medium to large saucepan and saute the onions, leeks (and or bell pepper), carrot, and celery until the onion is transparent.Toss in the garlic and saute for another minute
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the flour until incorporated and then add the stock and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a blender or with an immersion blender, puree the mixture until smooth. If you use a blender, you will need to do this in steps or else you will have tomato soup splattered all over your kitchen
Return to the pan and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes...3 - 4. Turn off the heat, stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with cream, sour cream or yogurt and some fresh basil