- Cooking Time: 3 hours
- Servings: 6 - 8
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds venison urger
- 2 large onions, minced
- 1 garlic glove, minced
- 1 T. steak sauce
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper
- 2 packages prepared chili mix
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 - 18 oz. can tomato juice
- 2 c. applesauce
- 2 - 15 oz. cans kidney beans with juice
- 1 T. basil
- 1/2 t. oregano
- Brown meat, onion and garlic in olive oil in a Dutch oven. Add steak sauce, spices and juice. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Stir bottom occasionally. Add applesauce and beans. Uncover and simmer until chili begins to thicken, about 1 hour.
NotesOur first or two year in Iowa, we butchered a deer and had ground venison that winter. This recipe also is good with hamburger. If I don't add the prepared chili mix, I cut back on the applesauce to 1 c. I often forget the crushed red pepper, too.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More