- Cooking Time: 25
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis was the recipe that made Bree Van De Kamp furious. It's not my fault the girls like my pie better.
- 1/2 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts or make your own single pie crust
- Lemon Meringue Pie Filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Meringue: 6 egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 6 tablespoons sugar
- Bake single pie crust as directed on package.
- To make lemon filling: Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a heavy non-aluminum saucepan. Whisk together egg yolks, milk and lemon juice in a bowl; whisk into sugar mixture in pan over medium heat. Bring to boil, and boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter, lemon rind, and vanilla until smooth. Pour into pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on filling.
- Make meringue immediately as it must be spread on hot pie filling.
- To make meringue: Beat egg whites and vanilla at high speed with a mixer until they are foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time and beat 2 to 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Remove plastic wrap from pie and spread meringue evenly over warm filling, making sure to seal the edges with meringue.
- Bake pie at 325º for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pie completely on a wire rack.