KATHERINE'S LEMON MERINGUE PIE: DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES
- Cooking Time: 25
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts or make your own single pie crust
- Lemon Meringue Pie Filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Meringue: 6 egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 6 tablespoons sugar
- Bake single pie crust as directed on package.
- To make lemon filling: Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a heavy non-aluminum saucepan. Whisk together egg yolks, milk and lemon juice in a bowl; whisk into sugar mixture in pan over medium heat. Bring to boil, and boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter, lemon rind, and vanilla until smooth. Pour into pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap placed directly on filling.
- Make meringue immediately as it must be spread on hot pie filling.
- To make meringue: Beat egg whites and vanilla at high speed with a mixer until they are foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time and beat 2 to 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Remove plastic wrap from pie and spread meringue evenly over warm filling, making sure to seal the edges with meringue.
- Bake pie at 325º for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pie completely on a wire rack.
NotesThis was the recipe that made Bree Van De Kamp furious. It's not my fault the girls like my pie better.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More