- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy wife, Kathie, makes these oatmeal cookies and they are the best!
- 6 cups Unbleached flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups shortening
- 4 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 6 cups raisins
- 12 cups Old fashioned Oatmeal
- 3 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven at 375ºF
- Blend all wet ingredients with a mixer on slow speed.
- Add all spices/seasonings and blend in low speed.
- In a large stainless bowl add flour and wet ingredients and blend until smooth with wooden spoon.
- Stir in raisins.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoon full on Ungreased cookie sheets, 1+ inch apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until bottoms are browned and tops look moist. (Use a timer)
- Let set on cookie sheet a few minutes because they are very soft and break easily.
- Transfer cookies to baking racks and let cool.
- This recipe will make about 100 cookies, depending on the size of your spoonful.