KATHY'S BLT SALAD
- 1 1/4 pounds small white or red new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Ground black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 8 slices center-cut bacon
- 12 cups loosely packed romaine lettuce or other salad greens (torn into pieces)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese made with 2 percent milk
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Cut larger potatoes into quarters and smaller ones into halves.
Place potatoes in a zip-top bag with 1 tablespoon olive oil and seal the bag.
Shake and toss the bag until potatoes are evenly coated.
Pour potatoes onto a baking sheet; add salt and pepper to taste.
Roast, turning once, about 30 minutes, until potatoes are golden.
Place tomato chunks in a large bowl.
To make dressing, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar and basil in a small bowl.
If desired, season with salt and pepper.
Pour about one-fourth of dressing over the tomatoes and set aside.
In a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until brown and crispy.
Drain bacon on paper towels, then crumble it.
Divide roasted potatoes among four serving plates. Add salad greens to bowl with tomatoes; add remaining dressing and toss to combine.
Arrange salad over potatoes.
Top with bacon and sprinkle with mozzarella.
Per serving: 367 calories; 19g fat (47 percent calories from fat); 5g saturated fat; 22mg cholesterol; 14g protein; 35g carbohydrate; 8g sugar; 7g fiber; 398mg sodium; 189mg calcium; 1385mg potassium.