KATHY'S BLT SALAD
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 pounds small white or red new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Ground black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 8 slices center-cut bacon
- 12 cups loosely packed romaine lettuce or other salad greens (torn into pieces)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese made with 2 percent milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut larger potatoes into quarters and smaller ones into halves.
- Place potatoes in a zip-top bag with 1 tablespoon olive oil and seal the bag.
- Shake and toss the bag until potatoes are evenly coated.
- Pour potatoes onto a baking sheet; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast, turning once, about 30 minutes, until potatoes are golden.
- Place tomato chunks in a large bowl.
- To make dressing, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar and basil in a small bowl.
- If desired, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour about one-fourth of dressing over the tomatoes and set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until brown and crispy.
- Drain bacon on paper towels, then crumble it.
- Divide roasted potatoes among four serving plates. Add salad greens to bowl with tomatoes; add remaining dressing and toss to combine.
- Arrange salad over potatoes.
- Top with bacon and sprinkle with mozzarella.
NotesAdapted from "Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen," by Kathleen Daelemans (Houghton Mifflin, 2002).
Per serving: 367 calories; 19g fat (47 percent calories from fat); 5g saturated fat; 22mg cholesterol; 14g protein; 35g carbohydrate; 8g sugar; 7g fiber; 398mg sodium; 189mg calcium; 1385mg potassium.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Luscious Tropical Dream Cake
Ultimate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana SplitSee More