KEMP'S BLACK BEANS
- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 135
- 1 lb dried black beans (about 2 1/3 cups), picked over and rinsed (but not soaked)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup Sherry (cream or medium-dry)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Bring black beans, onion, oil, water (8 cups), and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on age of beans).
Thin to desired consistency with additional water.
Stir in Sherry and remaining teaspoon salt, then soy sauce and vinegar to taste (start with 1 tablespoon each), and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.