- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1.25 cups mung beans, soaked over night
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 1 onion, chopped (frozen is fine)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (bottled works)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (I used tomato sauce since I didn't have paste and it turned out ok)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced (frozen works)
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped (I cheated and used Thai garlic and chili paste)
- 1.25 cups veggie stock (I just used buillion)
- If you want extra flavor, you can add 8 oz of shredded spinach leaves 3- minutes before the end of cooking.
- Drain the beans, place in a pan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1-1.25 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Drain well, return to pan and mash thoroughly until smooth.
- (Note: I didn't drain them right away and my dengu was more soupy than "chili-like".
- Also, the beans smell like ass when they cook, but the final meal tastes DAMN GOOD!)
- Heat the oil in another pan.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Add garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in mashed beans into the onion mixture.
- Add peppers, chili and stock.
- Stir well, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More