- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1.25 cups mung beans, soaked over night
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 1 onion, chopped (frozen is fine)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (bottled works)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (I used tomato sauce since I didn't have paste and it turned out ok)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced (frozen works)
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped (I cheated and used Thai garlic and chili paste)
- 1.25 cups veggie stock (I just used buillion)
- If you want extra flavor, you can add 8 oz of shredded spinach leaves 3- minutes before the end of cooking.
- Drain the beans, place in a pan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1-1.25 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Drain well, return to pan and mash thoroughly until smooth.
- (Note: I didn't drain them right away and my dengu was more soupy than "chili-like".
- Also, the beans smell like ass when they cook, but the final meal tastes DAMN GOOD!)
- Heat the oil in another pan.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Add garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in mashed beans into the onion mixture.
- Add peppers, chili and stock.
- Stir well, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More