- Cooking Time: 12-15
- Preparation Time:
- 1 9 - 10 inch graham cracker crust, homemade or prepared (If using a homemade crust it should be cooled completely before using).
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated, no-calorie sugar substitute (i.e. Splenda)
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reduced-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup light butter
- 1/3 cup key lime juice (fresh if possible)
- 1 Tablespoon key lime zest
- 1 cup sour cream (regular, reduced fat or no fat)
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 Tablespoons cold water, divided use
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated, no-calorie sugar substitute (i.e. Splenda)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat to 250 degrees F.
- Whisk egg yolks, in a small bowl, until combined.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 3 Tablespoons
- cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and whisk to blend. Add remaining milk.
- Cook over a medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Spoon 2 Tablespoons of hot milk mixture over egg yolks and whisk to temper.
- Pour egg yolk mixture into saucepan and bring mixture to a low boil, whisking constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, stirring until completely melted.
- Stir in juice and zest.
- Cool, in saucepan, completely.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Spread lime mixture into prepared crust. Set aside.
- In a small cup dissolve 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch in 2 Tablespoons water.
- In a small saucepan bring remaining water to a boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture to boiling water and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is clear and thickened, about 2 -3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- With an electric mixer beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar substitute, baking soda and vanilla.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and beat at a high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue over the entire surface of the cooled pie, Bake until the meringue is golden brown, about 12 - 15 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven, set on a rack and cool completely.
- Chill pie for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Chicken with Basil-Lemon-Garlic Oil, Parmesan, and Black Pepper
Blue Cheese Pull Apart Loaf
MINESTRONE SOUPSee More