KEY LIME PIE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 cup plus 2 1/2 TB graham cracker crumbs
- 5 TB unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp Key Lime zest
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed KEY lime juice
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
- Graham cracker crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place graham crackers in a food processor and process to crumbs. (If you dont have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag: seal and then crush the crackers with a rolling pin.)
- Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan, forming a neat border around the edge.
- Bake the crust until set and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- Leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, utilizing an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer.
- Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer.
- The Lime juice will start to 'set' the yolks.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the 350 oven to pasturize the egg yolk.
- Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate.
- Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff.
- Cut the pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream and a slice of key lime.
NotesKey Limes are little tiny things, it takes about 12 -14 limes to get 2/3 cup of juice. They taste completely different than the persian limes that most of us slice and squeeze into out Corona or on our Fish tacos. They are a little hard to find though, there is a 'From concentrate' usually with the lemon and lime juice in the mega mart... I have used this in a pinch with fairly successful results in the past.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Foodie BabySee More
Chicken LinguineSee More