- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 cup plus 2 1/2 TB graham cracker crumbs
- 5 TB unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp Key Lime zest
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed KEY lime juice
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
- Graham cracker crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place graham crackers in a food processor and process to crumbs. (If you dont have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag: seal and then crush the crackers with a rolling pin.)
- Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan, forming a neat border around the edge.
- Bake the crust until set and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- Leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, utilizing an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer.
- Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer.
- The Lime juice will start to 'set' the yolks.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the 350 oven to pasturize the egg yolk.
- Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate.
- Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff.
- Cut the pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream and a slice of key lime.
NotesKey Limes are little tiny things, it takes about 12 -14 limes to get 2/3 cup of juice. They taste completely different than the persian limes that most of us slice and squeeze into out Corona or on our Fish tacos. They are a little hard to find though, there is a 'From concentrate' usually with the lemon and lime juice in the mega mart... I have used this in a pinch with fairly successful results in the past.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Carrot cupcakes or muffensSee More