- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 40
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 1/4 cups bulgar wheat (I use #1 grind)
- 1 medium onion; coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1 lb ground lamb or goat
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper*
- 1 tsp ground Allspice*
- 1/4 tsp ground Cumin*
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika*
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- * or use Ras al Hanout
- Peanut oil for frying
- Soak Bulgur for 30 minutes in bowl of cold water.
- Start with the filling once the bulgur is soaking.
- In a pan, sauté finely chopped onion in olive oil.
- When the onion becomes soft, add pistachios.
- Add ground lamb or goat and break with wooden spoon or a fork to ensure the meat is fine in texture.
- Add allspice, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cumin (or Ras al Hanout)
- When lamb is brown remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- The Bulghur should be done soaking, so drain it though cheese cloth, squeezing to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Place Ground Lamb, Coarse onion, Salt, Pepper and Bulgur in the bowl of a food processor, mix until a homogeneous mass of dough is created. (This can sometimes take a while)
- When the dough has “come together”, begin heating your deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Then begin assembling the Kibbeh by taking an large egg-sized amount of dough mix and form a ball. (Moisten your hands if the "dough" sticks, just like when making Matzo Balls)
- Make a well in the center and add 2 TB of the filling.
- Pinch closed and shape into an egg or a football. (Although you can make them into balls as well, but the oblong shape is more traditional, I think)
- When you are finished stuffing the Kibbeh
- Submerge in 350 degree oil for about 4-5 minutes or until dark golden brow then drain on a paper towel.
NotesI haven't made this in a long time. I usually avoid deep fried foods and it makes 18 "dumplings" which is a lot, since 3 is plenty filling.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More