KICK ASS BANANA CREAM PIE
- 1 1/2 cups crushed nilla waffers
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla been cut in half
- 3 to 5 bananas, peeled and cut into slices
2. Mix the crumbs, melted butter, and sugar in a medium bowl until well combined. Press firmly and evenly into an unbuttered 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Bring the milk to a simmer in a nonreactive medium saucepan over medium heat. In a bowl, shisk the sugar and yolks, then whisk in the cornstarch and salt. Gradually whisk in the hot milk. Pour the mixture into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking almost constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a full boil. Remove from the heat and whisk n the vanilla. Strain the filling through a wire sieve set over a bowl to remove any cooked bits of egg white.
5. Pour half of the warm filling over the bottom of the pie shell. Spread the banana slices on top of first half of filling. Pour the rest of the filling over the bananas. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the surface of the filling. Pierce the plastic with the tip of a knife a few times so the steam can escape. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours. (The pie can be made up to 1 day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.)
6. About 30 minutes before serving, remove from the refrigerator. Spread or pipe whipped cream over the top of the pie. Cut into wedges to serve.